Achieving and maintaining an appropriate weight is paramount in your dog’s life expectancy. Just like us humans, excess weight contributes to many on-going health issues, some of which we can see and some which we can’t.
Hound Health aims to provide your dog with the best chance at achieving their weight loss goal with a combination program for strength, endurance, cardiovascular health and an overall, happier, healthier, longer life.
N.B. This treatment plan is a guide only and may be altered as the treatment progresses. Speed of progression through each stage is different for every furry friend! This type of exercise may not be appropriate for your pet. If your pet has underlying health issues, consult your vet prior to commencement of treatment.
What to expect
- The initial appointment will discuss goals for your dog a plan as to how we will achieve this together
- Hydrotherapy Underwater Treadmill Sessions minimum 1x per week for 8x weeks. Sessions will vary in timing depending on dog’s ability
- Ideally 2 + times per week to fast track progress, rebuild atrophied muscle and reduce compensatory impact on dog’s other legs
- Soft Tissue massage to aid in pain and tightness
- At-home Ice therapy to aid in swelling
- At home exercise program to help fast-track progress. This will be adjusted weekly depending on dog’s progress
How long is each program?
- Recovery will vary with each dog, depending on various factors.
- To see results, hydrotherapy underwater treadmill sessions are recommend to continue weekly for a minimum of 8x weeks, with reassessment on conclusion of the 8-week period
- Age, diet and activity level at home will also impact program duration and so continual reassessment will be necessary
When to begin?
- Today! Or as soon as you can.