Has your best friend suffered an FCE or Spinal Stroke? As a result they may be suffering from acute hind limb paraparesis; right-hind-leg is showing a marked improvement compared to the left-hind-leg at this stage.
We partner with your Veterinary Surgeon using a combination of soft tissue remedial massage, strength and conditioning exercises and hydrotherapy to help your best friend rebuild strength, feeling and control in their hind limbs.
N.B. This treatment plan is a guide only and may be altered as the treatment progresses. Speed of progression through each stage is different for every furry friend!
What to expect
What to expect
- The initial appointment will discuss your goals for your dog and plan how we will achieve this together
- Hydrotherapy Underwater Treadmill Sessions minimum 1x per week for 8x weeks. Sessions will vary in timing depending on dog’s ability
- Ideally 2+ times per week to fast track progress and rebuild atrophied muscle and reduce compensatory impact on dog’s other legs
- Soft Tissue massage to aid in pain and tightness as a result of compensatory and incorrect body use
- At-home Ice therapy to aid in swelling
Help your pup's recovery journey at home
- Dedicated at-home exercise program to help fast-track progress
- We will partner with you & your vet to tailor the exercises depending on dog’s week-by-week progress
How long is each program?
- Recovery will vary with each dog, depending on various factors.
- To see results, hydrotherapy underwater treadmill sessions are recommend to continue weekly for a minimum of 8x weeks, with reassessment on conclusion of the 8x weeks
- FCE affects the spinal cord and because of this, recovery looks very different for every dog
- If no improvement is shown after a considerable amount of time and dog remains non-ambulatory than this may indicate that hydrotherapy is unsuitable for the patient
When to begin?
- Approximately 2 Weeks post-surgery or as soon as the wound site has healed
- If treating conservatively than treatment should begin as soon as possible
- Soft tissue massage and passive ROM exercises may begin sooner depending on pain level of your dog
- This will be approximately 2 weeks post surgery
- Underwater treadmill is a highly supported and low impact exercise which is why it is suitable to begin at this early stage