Our dedicated rehabilitation program aims to strengthen the operated leg and rebuild atrophied muscle, in a safe and suitable way.
N.B. This treatment plan is a guide only and may be altered as the treatment progresses. Speed of progression through each stage is different for every furry friend!
What to expect
- The initial appointment will discuss goals for your dog and plan how we will achieve this
- Hydrotherapy Underwater Treadmill Sessions minimum 1x per week for 8x weeks. Sessions will vary in timing depending on dog’s ability
- Ideally 2+ times per week to fast track progress and rebuild atrophied muscle and reduce compensatory impact on dog’s other legs
- Soft Tissue massage to aid in pain and tightness as a result of compensatory and incorrect body use
- At-home Ice therapy to aid in swelling
- At home exercise program to help fast-track progress. n.b. This will be adjusted weekly depending on dog’s progress
How long is each program?
- Recovery will vary with each dog, depending on various factors.
- To see results, hydrotherapy underwater treadmill sessions are recommend to continue weekly for a minimum of 8x weeks, with reassessment on conclusion of the 8x weeks
When to begin?
- Approximately 2 weeks post surgery or once wound site is fully healed
- Soft tissue massage and passive ROM exercises may begin sooner depending on pain level of your dog
- Underwater treadmill is a highly supported and low impact exercise which is why it is suitable to begin at this early stage