While it is not curable, long term management programs and ongoing lifestyle choices can play a huge impact in your dog’s quality of life.
What to expect
- The initial appointment will discuss your goals for your dog and plan how we will achieve this together
- Hydrotherapy Underwater Treadmill Sessions minimum 1x per week for 8x weeks. Sessions will vary in timing depending on dog’s ability
- Ideally 2+ times per week to fast track progress and rebuild atrophied muscle and reduce compensatory impact on dog’s other legs
- Soft Tissue massage to aid in pain and tightness as a result of compensatory and incorrect body use
- At-home Ice therapy to aid in swelling
- At-home exercise program to help fast-track progress. This will be adjusted weekly depending on dog’s progress
How long is each program?
- Recovery will vary with each dog, depending on various factors.
- To see results in muscle growth and repair of atrophied muscle hydrotherapy underwater treadmill sessions are recommend to continue weekly for a minimum of 8 weeks, with reassessment on conclusion of the 8 weeks
- Arthritis is an incurable disease and so on going management may be necessary provided that your dog is improving with the treatment
When to begin?
- As soon as possible following diagnosis of condition to promote longevity & reduce discomfort